Bring It On 2016
Happy New Year my sweet friends! I hope y'all had a fun New Years celebration, I'll be sharing snippets of mine in my next vlog. We had a few people over at our house to ring in the new year. We wanted to have just a casual gathering of friends so I got to wear my casual option from my lookbook video (except, let's be honest, I wore house slippers the entire time).
Last year we put together a small backdrop for our NYE photos. I was unprepared and didn't get the glittery backdrop I had originally wanted. I found the streamer in the dollar spot at Target and it worked out nicely. I set up my ring light and camera and voila! DIY photobooth :)
For food, I threw together some easy finger foods and appetizers, while my friend brought over cupcakes and made queso (not shown since I started eating and photos went in the crapper lol). I made buffalo chicken dip for the first time and it was really REALLY good! I followed this recipe except I boiled about 1.5 lbs of chicken breast and shredded it with my mixer rather than using canned chicken. I am going to give this recipe a try again, maybe using a few lighter options but it would be easy to bring for work lunches.... more on that after the pics.
As for my resolutions.... in reviewing last years' resolutions, I didn't necessarily hit each and every one of them BUT I definitely improved the quality of my life which ultimately is always my goal.
1. Focus more on intangible qualities of life, not just material things. Sometimes I can get stuck in the materialistic side of life. I think a lot of people can agree with me on this. While I can't say I'm going to be a minimalist and go all zen on y'all, I do intend to focus more on improving myself as a person and spiritually. I'm not going to go into details about my religion but part of it is that I believe I'm more than just my physical body. I do believe I'm a spirit and that I have a soul. I believe that I live more than just one lifetime (although I flippantly throw out YOLO but it's jokingly). You may agree or you may disagree but the beauty in life is that we all have the right to our beliefs and we can respect each other, agree to disagree if this goes against your beliefs.
Anyways, what I mean to say is to take time each week to improve myself spiritually by being involved in my religion, whether I study on my own or whatever. I value integrity, honesty, responsibility and trustworthiness above all and these are qualities I want to focus more on in the coming year, with myself and to set an example for others in my life.
2. Be more kind to myself. I'm REALLY hard on myself. More than anyone else could ever be and more than you have seen in my vlogs. I have insecurities just like everyone else and I can be VERY critical of myself. I think I try to be my best and when I fail, I am hard on myself. Although I advise myself all the time that I learn from my mistakes, which I do, but it still takes me a minute to calm myself down sometimes. I am thankful for y'all because I have been more open about this on my recent vlogs and y'all give me great advice. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this as y'all have told me... I am seriously SO thankful for your friendship and community.
3. Complete my dressing room. I know this goes against the grain of #1 BUT like I said, I'm not turning into a minimalist. Just want to finally complete this room so I can move onto others!!! I'm almost done, just one more wall left :)
4. Continue to blog & YouTube regularly. This year has been one of the best years in the history of my blog & YouTube... in terms of me being active on them. I think I put out more content this year than I did when I first started and it's been awesome because it's content I am passionate about. By opening up about my career and my life, I've met amazing people with similar goals and characteristics.... it's the amazing thing about the internet, that I can connect with y'all in different locations. It's been rewarding and y'all have given me so much support, not only on my internet life but in my every day life. So thank you for that... ugh I'm getting all sappy. My goal is to blog and YouTube at least once weekly, providing different content on both outlets.
5. "Say no & say no often. You + your time are valuable. Reserve your 'yes' for what is important." Carly Cristman tweeted this and I could not agree more.... it's one of my resolutions for the year. Part of bringing more balance to my work and personal life is putting up boundaries. Far too often I say yes because I feel obligated or I know I can take on more so, why not? But then I'll get bitter and upset because I spread myself too thin. Same goes with things in my personal life. For so many years, I say yes to my family, friends, acquaintances... just to end up feeling used and pissed off for wasting time on people who don't appreciate it. I've done a better job in 2015 in putting my foot down and standing up for myself and I just need to do it more.
6. Follow my financial plan. 2015 was a good year in terms of finances. I was able to get a new SUV like I wanted, although I didn't get the Audi Q3... too small and didn't have all the features I wanted. I just need to continue to follow my plan and knock off a few outstanding items this year like I plan.
7. Cook more at home and bring lunch to work regularly. I think eating out will be reserved to maybe 2 times a week at most. I upped my cooking game this year from nothing to amateur (improvement). Part of getting more healthy is to cook more so I know exactly what is going into my body. Also, I have been fascinated with the lunch bringing, bento box community for a while and want to get involved.... plan is to share my lunches this coming year too. If y'all are part of that community, let me know!
8.Exercise at least 4 times a week. We bought an exercise bike in 2015 so we can get in a little work out at home. It literally was untouched for a few months but over the holiday break, I used it and nearly killed myself from 10 minutes.... I'm starting at 5 minutes and working my way up. When I say I'm out of shape and don't move at all, I REALLY mean it. Even if it's some cardio and weight lifting, it's something so that's my goal this year.
I can't thank y'all enough for being here for me and I'm excited to continue our friendship in the coming year :) What are y'alls resolutions or goals for the coming year?